- can we create beauty from pollution&noise?
- can we create music from the movement of transit systems?
- can a 3-lane road be audibly represented by a single 3-string instrument
- can we attach a separate instrument per lane of traffic?
- can we integrate natural/regional sounds?
- can we create something more resonate?
- can we tune a handpan to 432Hz?
eg. dulcimer, balalaika; or a 6-lane road by a 6-string guitar?
- in Prokofiev’s ‘Peter and the Wolf’, each character of the tale is represented by a different instrument
- similar to the tines of a music box or the punched holes of a music roll, each vehicle passing a fixed point (?overpass?) triggers a preset tone. can we create something tuneful from randomness?
- an interactive, open source, non-profit sound project
(chord = 2+ notes played together = multiple vehicles passing a fixed point simultaneously)
note length selection
(proportional to length of vehicle)
transit/semi 1/2 - 1 note
van 1/4 - 1/2 note
car 1/8 - 1/4 note
motorcycle break - 1/8 note
speed of vehicle
transit/semi trucks 1 note
van 1/2 note
car 1/4 note
motorcycle 1/8 note
proof of concept version 2.0
preset 1 instrument - handpan tuned to (>>>>???>>>>)
can we find a melody when we tune to 432hz ?
- pitch varies in proportion to vehicle speed?
- live feed into a public venue for an interactive, non-profit music display?
- melodious: smooth out note or chord, stretch chord, reverb or speed up film/sound?
- do we need rhythm?
- can color of vehicle define tone, key or chord?
- changing lanes “passing note”?
- integrate natural/ethnic/regional sounds?